12 Eylül 2010 Pazar

EXERCICES AND REVIEW MODAL VERBS

EXERCICES – MODAL VERBS

1.- Say what is correct .

There's someone at the door . It can / must be the post man

Don't worry you don't have to / mustn't pay now

I think you had better / would better take a pullover with you

John could / must be president if Smith has to resign

Sorry. I can't stay any longer . I have to / might go

It was 5 'o clock one hour ago . Your watch can't / mustn't be right

It's a school rule. All the pupils have to / must wear a uniform

I suppose that our team must / should win but I'm not sure

Let's tell Diana. She could / might not know

In my opinion the goverment might /should do something about this.

2.- Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using hte word given. You must use between two and five words

I think you should give up smoking inmediately

had

I expect we will get there by 5.pm if there isn't too much traffic

Should

It is necessary for me to bring my passport?

Have

I'm sure that the cat is in the house somewhere

Be

An aerial is not required with the radio

Have

I' sure that John is not the thief

Be

I thought that you would know better!

Ought

3.- Correct this sentence ( Each sentence has at least one error )

I may to going to Vietnam soon

You don't should smoke when you are pregnant

The clouds are looking angry . It won't surely rain

He's drowning! He needs helps from somebody who can swim !

We should get a car alarm or someone must break into our car

4.- Please writte the modal verb where it should go on the probability chart.

0%_______________________________________________________________100%

Joe must be in texas

Joe might be in Texas

Joe will be in Texas

Joe should be in Texas

Joe can't be in Texas

5.- Please write “C” for Certainty and “P” for possibility next to these sentences with modal verbs.

I don't know where all my old photos are. I may have put them in the attic __________

See! I got a new bike to ride in the city . You must get a lock for that or it'll get stolen_________

She couldn't be going to the wedding on Saturday ecause she told me se has to work _________

If he studies hard enough. He could pass his test_________________

I might go to the Led Zeppelin reunion in concert________________

6.- Complete each sentence so that it contains might, might not , must, mustn't , can or can't

More than one answer maybe is possible.

Don't stand up in the boat ! You ________ might fall in the river

Sue says she's stuck in traffic and she ________ be late

You really _______________ start spending more time on your work

Tell Peter he________________stay the night here if he wants to

That's a really stupid idea!You___________ be serious , surely!

You _______________ realise it , but this is very important to me

Don't be silly . You _______________ expect me to belive you !

We're not sure but we ______________go to Prague for Christmas this year

Me learn to fly ! You ____________be jocking!

Bill cooked the lunch , so you ________________________ expect anything special !

EXERCICES MODAL VERB- PAST

1.- Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence , using the word given .Do not change the word given . You must use between two and five words , including the word given

It wasn't necessary for me to go out after all

have

Exemple : I needn't have gone out after all

There was a plan for Jack to become manager .but he left

Was

Jack________________________________________________manager ,but he left

I don't think that Sally enjoyed her holiday

Have

Sally ______________________________________________________enjoyed her holiday

It's possible that Bill Saw me

May

Bill_____________________________________________________________me

Perhaps Alan didn't mean what he said

Meant

Alan_______________________________________________________what he said

I think you were wrong to sell your bike

Shouldn't

You ___________________________________________________________bike

2.- Rewritte each sentence so that it contains can't , might, must, should or needn't

I'm sure that David Took your books by mistake

It was a mistake to park outside the police station

It was unnecesary for you to clean the floor

I'm sure that Liz hasnt' met Harry before

Ann possibily hasn't left yet

I'm sure they haven't eaten all the food. It's not possible !

Jack is supposed to have arrived half an hour ago

Perhaps Pam and Tim decided not to come

I think it was the cat that took the fish from the table!

It was a waste of time worrying . After all!

REVIEW – MODAL VERB PRESENT

Can

· Infinitive

· Continuos form

Be able To

When is not possible to use Can

I'd like to be able to swim

Must

· When we're sure or almost sure about something .

You must be tired after your long journey

· Obligation when speaker personaly feels something is important

You must start working harder

Can't

· When we're sure or almost sure about something

That can't be Sue! She is in Brazil

Had better

· Strong advice about how to stop something going wrong . Present or future

I think you had better leave now

May/Migh/Could

· Uncertaintly or possibility

John could be president if Smith has to resign

Should / ought to

· When we expect that something will happen

Brenda should be home by now

· What is the best thing to do : to give someone advice, opinion, political instructions.

Have to

· Obligation. When the situatioins make something necessary

You have to turn left here ( is the law)

Must'nt

· Something is prohibited

Don't have to

· Something that is not necessary

REVIEW PAST MODAL VERBS

Could

· General past ability

When I was young I could run very fast

Was able to

· To talk about an specific past action

Lucky Mary was able to help us

Must have

· To make logical deductions about past actions.

I must have left my wallet is the car

Can't have

· To make logical deductions about past actions

Jim can't have noticed you

May/ might / have could

· Possibility or uncertaintly about past actions

John might have missed the train

You could had been killed ( it was a possiblity )

Was/Were to have

· Describes something wich was supposed to happen

He was to have left yesterday

Had to

· Obligation. Must not have past form

Sorry . I'm late . I had to take the children to school

Should have / ought have

· Express the feeling that a mistake was made. Criticism

I should had posted this letter yesterday

0 yorum:

Yorum Gönder