18 Eylül 2010 Cumartesi

Lesson 5. reporter speech/ reporting verbs/ reporting questions

Lesson 5. reporter speech/ reporting verbs/ reporting questions&

lesson 5. reporter speech/ reporting verbs/ reporting questions

REPORTER SPEECH

When we use reporter speech , changes may have to be made to verb tenses, pronoums and certain words indicating place and time.

DIRECT SPEECH REPORTER SPEECH

Present Simple Present Continuous

I work in an office He said he worked in an office

Present Continuos Past Continuos

We're going away on holiday She said they were going away

on holiday

Present Perfect Past Perfect

I've know her for a long time. He said he'd known her for a long time.

Present Perfect Continuos Past Perfect Continuos

He's been playing tennis, she said She said he'd been playing

tennis

Past Simple Past Perfect

I saw Nigel in town , he said He said that he had seen Nigel

in Town

Past Continuous Past Perfect Continuous

We're trying to help him , she said She said they had been trying

to help him

The modal verbs will, must , and can , change to would, had to, might and could.

No changes:

Past Perfect

He had never spoken about it before, she said

She said he had never spoken about him before.

Modal Verbs: Would, might , could, should ought to .

You should go to the doctor's he said

He said I should go to the doctor's

If the statement being reported is still true.

I like fish , she said

She said she likes fish

If the reporting verbs is in present

It's 40º in Athens at the moment

Jeremy say it's 40º in Athens at the moment

Pronoums in direct speech may have to change when we use reported speech.

I'll see you soon said Peter

Peter said he would see me soon

The following changes may also need to be made to words indicating place and time.

Now Then

Today That day

This morning That morning

Tomorrow The next/ following day

Next week The next/ following week

Yesterday The day before/ the previous day

Two days ago Two days before/ earlier

Last Week The week before/ the previous week

Here There

Come Go

This, that, these and those may change to the.

That book you lent me is really boring, he said

He said the book I had lent him was really boring

REPORTING VERBS

Tell is used with a direct object

He told me (that) he was getting married

Say and Explain are used without a direct object

She said (that) she was ill (not she said me)

They can however be used with an indirect object

I explained to them (that) I'd left my passport at home (not I explained them)

Some reporting verbs can be used with an infinitive.

Verb+ object / pronoum + infinitive with to

Advise, ask, encourage, invite, order, persuade, recommend, remind, tell, urge, warn.

Don't forget to phone Jim, he told her

He remind her to phone Jim

Verb+ infinitive without to

Offer, promise, refuse, threaten.

I'll help you mend the car if you like

He offered to help me mend the car

The following patterns can be used after both recommend and suggest.

He recommend/ Suggest (that) I (should) eat less sugar

She recomended/Suggested joining a youth club

The infinitive with to can only be used after recommend.

REPORTING QUESTIONS

When we report questions we make the same changes to verb tenses, pronoums, and words indicating place and time as we do when we report statements. The following changes are also made:

Auxilary verbs:

Auxilary verbs, do, does, and did are omited

Word order:

Is the same as that of a statement

Punctuation:

Questions marks are not used

Yes/ No question:

If there is no question word ( what, where, who,etc) in the direct question we use if or whether.

Does she smoke?

He asked if/ whether she smoked

Ask

a) Requests (Ask+object+ infintive with to )

Can you help me , please?

He asked me to help me

b) Questions

Can you ride a horse?

She asked if I could ride a horse

Tell

a) Command ( Tell+object+ infinitive with to)

Put your coat on

She told him to put his coat on

b) Statement

I can't find my coat

He told her (that) he couldn't find his coat

0 yorum:

Yorum Gönder